Power ECMAScript - basic tools
© Vanguard Software Corporation
Pulling things together...
The most significant performance gains from Power ECMAScripting are to be gained through the deployment of state-of-the-art server side ECMAScript extensions.
Vanguard Studio capabilities include:
- authoring system - Vanguard Studio2 - illustrated on the right
- server system - script interpretation & administration software - Vanguard Server3
- module libraries administrator
Vanguard Server capabilities include:
- script editing system for DScript (advanced internationally standardized server side ECMAScript scripting language (ISO & ECMA)) that can accept core ECMAScript
- outputs scripts (*.mdl) for server side processing
- server side processing secures gains in speed of around a factor of 100 in comparison with client side scripts
- compatible embedded capabilities:
- automatic syntax checking
- debug capability for specific predefined sub-node element
- debug capability on whole script, line-by-line mode
- code input within a visually intuitive presentation (heirarchical tree structure linking nodes in the "tree window") providing a visual model of the program structure
- the script compatible with and supporting inclusion of core ECMAScript
- the availability of large nukber of "primitives" for efficient coding of complex logical, mathematical, financial, scientific, statistical and operations research functions
- ability to create own specialised applications primitives
- generated process output code compatible with all server protocols
- ability to review script operation within an embedded server in Studio on client side
- ability to assess at the design stage the potential operational server resource consumption in terms of speed of script execution as well as estimate the feasible number of simultaneous users
- cross compatibility of server side script output with different client browsers
- cross compatibility of server output with different client side operating systems
The Module libraries administrator:
- Interpretation of scripts combining DScript and core ECMAScript
- Comprehensive administrative capabilities for establishing:
- IP address & port numbers
- Max simultaneous connections and connection timeout (seconds)
- Root directory & default document
- Compression of outgoing data to reduce bandwidth and cache folders
- Apply user authorization, allow Studio Users to login automatically
- Password (remote monitoring)
- Script management:
- Kill orphans with cookies and sessions after n seconds without a reply
- Session memory session CPU time quotas
- Manage *.mdl4 access rights
- Reply e-mail address, outgoing SMTP server
- Reporting dynamic activity with time base (major tic, minor tic & time axis label) and log file content configuration
- SSL activation, port number, domain name etc. and the creation of certificates
This is a library management system that resides on the Vanguard Server for modules and code segments that a user wishes to store for future use as well share with other authorized users.
1 DScript is developed by Rob Suggs and is a registered trademark of Vanguard Software Corporation.
2 formerly known as Decision Script Author.
3 formerly known as Decision Script Server.
4 the basic scripts are referred to as "models" or *.mdl. With DScript Author and Server the scripts were referred to as decision script binaries or *.dsb. The Vanguard System, including the Studio and Server maintain full backwards compatibility for "*.dsb" scripts (including access rights) in order to maintain a fully transparent operation. Updating of *.dsb" scripts can be accomplished by simply opening them in Studio and saving as *.mdl". This is worthwhile because Vanguard Studio supports a far wider range of primitives and built in functionality.
The Decision Analysis Initiative 2010-2015
George Boole Foundation